Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Passionate and Thought Provoking... FIVE Star Review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate and Thought Provoking... November 11, 2014
By Ranger
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Let me state at the outset that I am a straight man (really!) and I loved this book, “Moments in Time” by writer Adam Stevens. It has been the very first gay theme book I've ever read, and I read every page. While I did feel uncomfortable at some of the sex scenes, as I read more of the book, I became more comfortable with them, as I came to see them as a physical manifestation of love, and if anything, the writer's big message is that love is the same, whether it's between man and woman, or between man and man.

A bit about me. When I was younger, I did not really come across too many gay people, growing up in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Those were not exactly politically correct times, and had you asked me then about my opinion of gays in those times, you would probably dismiss me as a bigot and as a homophobe. Now, living in a big city and working in an environment where I interact with gays on a regular basis, I have developed a new understanding and no longer hold the hateful thoughts in my mind as I once did.

I was discussing this with a gay colleague, and telling him how things have changed, how gay friendly the world has become, with same-sex marriage being allowed and all that and he told me, yeah, that's all great, but you don't really how it's like to be gay and even if all the laws are made more equitable and gay friendly, none of us straight guys will understand the pain of being gay.

Which is why I looked for a book which tried to explain that – what it's like to be gay. And this book does that perfectly. Writer Adam Stevens explains the pain of being gay, the constant dread of being caught, humiliation, insults......but that's not all there is to it. He also talks about the joy, the love, the passion, the respect, the pride associated with being gay. Primarily, the book focuses what it's like to come out, giving up the world of stealth, guilt and lies, and waking up to a new life, in which nothing is hidden, everything is for real and there is no confusion. What you see, is what you get.

Amazing book, highly recommended!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZYIXLK

No comments:

Post a Comment